As a homeowner, you may not realize the importance of regular HVAC maintenance until you experience the consequences of neglecting it. At Victory Heating & Cooling, we want you to know the risks of poorly maintained HVAC systems and learn how to prevent them. This blog post discusses five common risks of neglected HVAC maintenance and provides tangible tips to help you avoid these issues.
Reduced Energy Efficiency
Reduced energy efficiency is one of the most significant risks of neglected HVAC maintenance. A dirty or poorly maintained system has to work harder to maintain the desired temperature, leading to higher energy consumption and increased utility bills. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, regular maintenance can help reduce your air conditioner's energy consumption by 5% to 15%.
- Tip: Schedule regular HVAC maintenance to ensure your system is clean and running efficiently. This includes cleaning or replacing filters, inspecting and cleaning coils, and checking for leaks or damage.
Poor Indoor Air Quality
A neglected HVAC system can lead to poor indoor air quality due to the buildup of dust, dirt, and other contaminants in your ducts and filters. This can cause respiratory issues and allergies for you and your family. The Environmental Protection Agency states that indoor air pollutants can be up to five times higher than outdoor levels.
- Tip: Regularly clean or replace your air filters and schedule professional duct cleaning to maintain good indoor air quality in your home.
Frequent Breakdowns and Repairs
Neglecting HVAC maintenance can result in frequent breakdowns and costly repairs. Regular maintenance helps identify potential issues before they become major problems, saving you time and money in the long run. A study by ASHRAE states that well-maintained HVAC systems are 40% less likely to experience a major failure.
- Tip: Schedule routine HVAC maintenance to identify and address potential issues early, reducing the likelihood of costly breakdowns and repairs.
Shortened System Lifespan
A well-maintained HVAC system can last up to 20 years, while a neglected system may need to be replaced in as little as ten years. Regular maintenance helps extend the life of your system by ensuring it operates efficiently and preventing premature wear and tear.
- Tip: Invest in a regular maintenance plan to prolong the life of your HVAC system and avoid the expense of early replacement.
Neglected HVAC maintenance can also pose safety risks to your home and family. For example, a cracked heat exchanger in your furnace can lead to carbon monoxide leaks, which can be life-threatening. Additionally, electrical issues in your HVAC system can increase fire risk.
- Tip: Schedule regular HVAC maintenance to ensure the safety of your home and family by identifying and addressing potential safety hazards.
At Victory Heating & Cooling in Saint Johns, MI, we understand the importance of regular HVAC maintenance and the risks associated with neglecting it. Our experienced technicians can help you prevent these common issues and ensure your system operates efficiently and safely.
Contact Victory Heating & Cooling today to schedule your HVAC maintenance and experience the benefits of a well-maintained system!